The environment is hygienic and prevents cross infection between FDC Educator and children and from one child to another
Educators are responsible for
- Maintaining adequate supervision of children,
- Ensure all required equipment is available and within reach prior to beginning the nappy change.
- During the nappy change, a child should never be left alone on the change mat
- Physical contact should be maintained with the child
- Have a separate nappy changing are from other areas
- Wearing personal protective equipment as required
- Have nappy change mats with an impervious washable surface and provide safe storage of soiled nappies.
When changing nappies:
- It is recommended that children’s nappies are changed on the floor on a change mat
- Clean the child’s bottom
- Remove the gloves by pealing them back from the wrists
- Place soiled disposable nappies in sealed plastic bag which should be stored out of reach of children
- Put the clean nappy on the child
- Dress the child, wash the child’s hands, take child away from the change area
Cleaning after a nappy change
- Clean and sanitise the mat with the appropriate cleaning product, such as warm soapy water using a paper towel to clean the mat.
- Dispose the paper towel in the bin
- After all these ensure to wash hands in the bath room/toilet sink
NEXT REVIEW DATE
Policy created for First Idea Family Day Care Services, inclusive of changes to the National Quality Standards and Education and Care National Regulations