To ensure that the families to have back-up care with registered FDC educators, when child’s regular FDC educator is unavailable -either temporarily through illness, holidays, FDC educator’s pregnancy, or any other unforeseen circumstances or permanently when a FDC educator resigns.
Guidelines to be followed
- Any leave taken longer than 8 consecutive weeks per financial year may result in the FIRST IDEA FAMILY DAY CARE SERVICES, Agreement being terminated or the FDC Educator being required to repeat sections of orientation training on their return.
- Parents must be told that there could be times when their FDC Educator is unavailable and although all effort will be made to find a “back-up FDC Educator”, this cannot be guaranteed
- The FDC Educator must let the co-ordination unit know about their expected leave at least 4 weeks in advance.
- The FDC Educator should at least give us 4 weeks’ notice prior to annual leave in writing to the co-ordination unit
- The FDC Educator should complete the “FDC Educators Leave Application” which outlines the period of leave and which children require back-up care. This must be signed by the parent/guardian even if the back-up care is not required.
- In an emergency, the FDC Educator or a family member may contact the co-ordination unit through the emergency phone to advise the co-ordination unit of the situation by sending a text message.
Back -up care
- The FDC Educator needs to ascertain whether the parent will need back-up care and inform the co-ordination unit well in advance.
- It is acceptable for a FDC Educator to contact another FDC Educator to ask him/her if they are willing to do the back-up care, particularly in the case where the other FDC Educator and child requiring care are known to each other. However, it is important that the parents are aware that they do have a choice regarding back-up care and the office will contact other FDC Educators to arrange back-up care if they wish
- The children who go for “back-up care “must return to the original FDC Educator one the original FDC Educator resumes the work
FDC Educator is to finish 6 weeks prior to confinement or up to 2 weeks before the due date providing-
- Weekly doctors certificate stating FDC Educator is fit to care for children is submitted to the co-ordination unit
- The supervisor’s notes on home visit indicates that the FDC Educator is healthy and fit enough to continue providing Education and Care
- FDC Educator cannot return after the birth of the baby until she has obtained a doctor’s certificate stating she is fit to return to provide Education and Care.
- If the FDC Educator /Educator assistant/Educator’s family members have an infectious illness the parents should be advised that education and care cannot be provided until doctor’s certificate is provided claiming that the above-mentioned parties are out of infectious illness.
- Every effort will be made by the co-ordination unit staff to arrange alternative care for the children.
Resignation by the educator
- At FIRST IDEA FAMILY DAY CARE SERVICES, the Educators should give in writing at least four weeks’ notice in advance of intention to resign from FIDFDC services (unless special circumstances such as illness death in the family etc.) They are required to contact their supervisors to be informed of any equipment or relevant documentation be returned.
- FIRST IDEA FAMILY DAY CARE SERVICES, will terminate the contract immediately in case of any breech of the policies that could put a child or children in danger.
NEXT REVIEW DATE
Policy created for First Idea Family Day Care Services, inclusive of changes to the National Quality Standards and Education and Care National Regulations